Monday 20 August 2012

This Used To Be My Playground

I felt that it was only appropriate (since there are no new films out that I want to see...) that I should talk about one of the films that is closest to my heart! And if you haven't guessed it from my title it is A League Of Their Own. Maybe I am a sucker for that fact that girls took a major role in this film--as it was based on a true story--or maybe the fact that is was a movie that I related to as I used to play the game myself (well...softball). But there is something about this movie that still resignates with me today!

But to be completely truthful I think that I love this film soooo much because I am a Tom Hanks fan. Since I was young I can not think of a Tom Hanks film or tv show (Bossom Buddies) that I did not have. And yes I have the Bossom Buddies on DVD. 
But.. I am going to stop ranting and actually put my two cents into this film like I have with all the others so far. 

First and foremost I loved the all-star cast. I mean there were so many, such a Rosie O'Donnell, Madonna, Geena Davis, and of course Tom Hanks. They all in their own ways make this film. Secondly, the music. Although I think I love this Madonna song more because of my father. He was always such a big fan of Madonna's early music. I also like the music because it suits the genre so well. And lastly, I loved this film because of its femininity. For once women were able to be seen as more than house workers. They were respected for the talent they had outside of their households. I know many films make women out to be caretakers and cleaners, but in the 80's that was beginning to change. 

ok...I think it is time to end it. A League of Their Own is and will always be amazing. Penny Marshall created a great film that many people really enjoyed, especially myself. It might not be perfect in some people's eyes...but it sure was in mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment