Sunday 13 January 2013

The Hobbit: A Wonderfully Impressive Adventure

Since I am such a big fan of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, it had to be expected that I would run out and see The Hobbit. At the beginning I was nervous to see how this film would turn out. Since the last three films were created much has happened in terms of film-making. However, Peter Jackson did remain the director, so that must count for something.

....Were you waiting for me to tell you that I didn't like it? ha.. Well I am sorry to have fooled you, but unfortunately this film was exactly what I thought it would be. By accident I did end up going to see it in 3D, but to be very honest I thought that it was amazing. So this brings me to the good part.

What do I love about this film to do ask? ... Uhm, everything. I would like to point out that I was very skeptical about the "computer-animated" characters, but it turns out that they are great for this type of genre. You do not see it very often in film that the computer animated characters work. For example, Twilight (but then again, those films were of course BRUTAL!). I had to give an example though. I was also very excited to see Gollum again. I think that he is one of my favourite characters from the series, even though he is a little unhinged and creepy. In a weird way I think that he is cute. Don't you? (Gollum )

Other than Gollum, another character that I love is of course Bilbo Baggins. From the very beginning I thought that Ian Holm was the only actor that could take on the character of Bilbo, but unfortunately I was very wrong. Martin Freeman took the role to a whole new level (of course not taking away from Ian's work). He brought forth a Bilbo that I never expected, which of course was witty, smart, and brave. These are the characteristics that we as an audience only hear about through the Lord of the Rings. So great job Martin!

Of course I do need to praise all the previous actors and actresses that were again present in this new film. I love when you see the same people play the same part. So amazing work. But the actors and actresses are not the only thing that make this film really great, therefore I need to move on.

The second reason why I loved this film is the... wait for it..... COMPUTER EFFECTS! Ok. I said it out loud, and I think that you all heard it. So, yes, the computer effects. Like I have previously stated before, not many films can use computer effects the way they do in this film because it looks "cheesy" and "unrealistic." But for The Hobbit, it was brilliant! There are too many "weird" creatures that it would take the film a decade just to do all the make-up on, let alone pay out for all the performances. And because of that fact that Gollum had worked so well in the past, it is easy to assume that the computer effects would continue to work well for this genre of film.

And finally, the last thing that I loved about this film (or these string of films) is that they follow the novels so well. You do not see that in a lot of film adaptions, they tend to mess with the logistics or the storyline to create this "Hollywood Ending" that does not always make sense or work well. And more than half the time the film flops because of it. So thank you for staying true to the books. I mean that is why audiences love these films so much. It is better to go big or go home.

But of course, like every film, we need to talk about what I did not like. This part is always so hard because of that fact that I throughly enjoy these films, but it needs to be done. If I could be objective, I think the film was a bit longer than it needed to me. It was approximately three hours in length and based on the adventure that took place, this film could have been a bit shorter. If you do tend to read J.R.R Tolken's books you will see that he creates the characters wonderfully, as well as the scenes. Unfortunately, the chapters can be rather lengthy; some are more description then plot. Therefore, I can see why Peter Jackson has created such a lengthy film. However, if that is the worst thing about this film I am not mad. Peter continues to create extraordinary films with award-winning actors.

All and all I give this film a [A]. I given this in regards to the acting abilities on screen, the amazing computer effects that re-create the vision of J.R.R. Tolken, and of course last but not least Peter's excellent film adaption of this wonderfully written novel. So for anyone who has not see this film yet, you must must must go see it. I know you will enjoy yourself from the beginning, to the middle, to the end.

See you at the movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment